Essential oils are a natural and effective way to help manage stress, boost mood, fight off infection, and deal with pain. Essential Oils are pure aromatic plant extracts that are obtained from aromatic plant distillation. Essential Oils have a variety of applications that have positive effects on physical, psychological and emotional bodies of the individual. Inhalation, application to the skin, and internal ingestion of some oils are all methods of using essential oils.
Unlike most conventional medications that work as they are absorbed through the bloodstream, essential oils have an immediate impact on our many olfactory cells, which control the sense of smell. As we breathe in the fragrance from the oils, receptor cells are instantly stimulated, sending messages to the brain's sensitive limbic system. The limbic system is linked to certain parts of the brain that control a variety of vital functions, including breathing and circulation, memory, our emotions, as well as the endocrine system, which is essential for controlling hormone levels. Inhaling of essential oils for physical and psychological benefit is called aromatherapy.
Messaging essential oils into the skin, using a hot or cold compress with essential oils or using them in a bath allows the oils to penetrate the skin's cells. Direct application to the skin of essential oils is most often used for pain management. It's helpful to know the absorption rate when using oils for massage purposes to utilize their maximum effectiveness.
The chemistry of an essential oil is extremely complex, and a typical example of oil will contain an elaborate mixture of aromatic constituents such as alcohols, aldehydes, esters, ketones, lactones, phenols, terpenes and sesquiterpenes that combine to produce a unique set of therapeutic qualities. This complex mixture of natural chemicals is what makes essential oils such effective healing agents; for example eucalyptus oil is refreshing and invigorating - plus it is a very powerful antiseptic agent. This means that essential oils can be used in a variety of ways to promote physical and emotional health and well-being.
Essential oils possess a wide range of healing properties that can be used effectively to keep you in the best of health as well as looking good. These health-giving benefits include improving the complexion of your skin by stimulating cellular renewal, balancing roller-coaster emotions and fighting bacteria, fungi and other forms of infection. Essential oils have an almost endless list of therapeutic uses.
- Basil: Bronchitis, colds, fatigue, influenza, gout, insect repellent, sinusitis
- Bay Laurel: Amenorrhea, colds, influenza, tonsillitis
- Bergamot: Acne, anxiety, cold sores, depression, fatigue, halitosis, itching, oily skin, stress
- Black Pepper: Arthritis, constipation, fatigue, muscle cramps, poor circulation. Check out Blood Circulation Support Wellness Oil
- Cedarwood: Acne, anxiety, arthritis, bronchitis, cystitis, dandruff, stress
- Clary Sage: Amenorrhea, anxiety, depression, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, sore throat, stress
- Cypress: Hemorrhoids, fatigue, oily skin, rheumatism
- Frankincense: Anxiety, asthma, bronchitis, depression, scars, stress, stretch marks
- Ginger: Arthritis, fatigue, nausea, sore muscles
- Grapefruit: Cellulitis, depression, fatigue, stress, water retention
- Helichrysum: Acne, burns, depression, dermatitis, fatigue, panic disorders, skin wounds
- Jasmine: Depression, dry skin, fatigue, labor pains, sensitive skin
- Lavender: Acne, anxiety, asthma, depression, irritability, labor pains, panic disorders, sprains, stress
- Lemon: Athlete's foot, colds, depression, fatigue, influenza, oily skin, varicose veins, warts.
- Mandarin: Anxiety, depression, irritability, stress
- Neroli: Anxiety, depression, irritability, panic disorders, stress
- Orange: Colds, depression, digestion, influenza, stress
- Patchouli: Acne, anxiety, fatigue, hair care, insect repellent, stress. Check out Bug Be Gone Wellness Oil
- Peppermint: Asthma, fatigue, headaches, nausea, sinusitis
- Roman Chamomile: Allergies, anxiety, arthritis, depression, earaches, irritability, PMS, stress. Check out Painful Joints Wellness Oil
- Rose: Anxiety, depression, eczema, menopause, panic disorders, stress.
- Rosemary: Arthritis, dandruff, fatigue, neuralgia, poor circulation
- Sandalwood: Anxiety, depression, fatigue, insomnia, irritability, oily skin, stress
- Vetiver: Acne, anxiety, arthritis, fatigue, stress
- Ylang Ylang: Depression, hypertension, stress
To learn even more about essential oils and their different applications and benefits check out one of these books:The Healing Power of Essential Oils: Fragrance Secrets of Everyday Use This Handbook Is a Compact Reference Work in the Effects and Application of 248 Essential
Medical Aromatherapy: Healing With Essential Oils
Essential Oils And Aromatics: A Step-by-step Guide for Use in Massage And Aromatherapy